What to expect in this course
- Improving the understanding of naturopaths and herbalists of the complexities around natural medicine product quality
- Improving the understanding of naturopaths and herbalists of how reproducible products can be made
- Improving the understanding of naturopaths and herbalists of scientific evidence for natural health products and how to interpret it
- Assist the understanding of naturopaths and herbalists on how to inform their patients about product choice based on specific evidence
Each lesson starts with the learning outcomes expected after completion of the lesson.
Learning Outcomes for the whole course
- How the makers of specific evidence products control the variability of the original raw materials and their growing conditions
- How the makers of specific evidence products control the variability from the harvesting and storage of herbal medicine plants
- The ways the active ingredient manufacturing process is controlled for specific evidence products to be "essentially the same" every batch
- Overall quality control for a specific evidence product
- How people make choices of natural health products
- Interpreting the value of “scientific research” (e.g. “pre-clinical” trials) for natural health products
- Why clinical trials with natural health products are particularly important
- Potential for interactions between natural health products and synthetic pharmaceuticals, food and other natural health products
- Explain to consumers/patients how to identify the 6 common myths and misunderstandings about natural health products and what to do about them
This course is in 2 parts or modules.
In the first module (lessons 1-4 inclusive) we will take you through the special journey of how natural health products are made, using the example of herbal medicines. This is the journey from source to patient.
The second module (lessons 5-8 inclusive) will address how they are used, researched and marketed
Each lesson has a PowerPoint video, which you must complete. Then there is a quiz to test your knowledge - you can only continue to the next lesson when the lesson and the quiz have been completed.
Thank you and good luck!